I would like to wish MDN a very great and happy day. Today is MDN’s 10th Anniversary. Whenever I use the word ‘MDN’ , it is obviously the Mozilla Developer Network. Millions of users and thousands of volunteers , developers and contributors are celebrating MDN’s 10th Anniversary today . I would like to remember you that the original Mozilla Developer Network wiki site was launched on 23 July, 2005 . So , MDN is celebrating its 10 years of excellence and dedication in the web development on the web.
There are few questions which arises in our mind whenever we hear about MDN that are as follows :
1. What is MDN (Mozilla Developer Network) ?
2. What is vision of MDN ?
MDN’s vision is a world where software development begins with web development.
3. What is mission of MDN ?
MDN’s mission is to enable, inspire and collaborate to make the Web the primary platform used to create experiences across all connected devices.
MDN goes beyond providing essential coding information; it addresses developers’ needs through its supporting community of volunteer developers, with the aim of inspiring ideas, encouraging collaboration and ultimately, fostering the growth of the open Web. For a wide range of Web developers, from learners to hobbyists to full‐time professionals, MDN provides useful explanations for coding practice, instructions on downloading and building code, articles on how the code works. It also gives guidance on how to build add‐ons for Mozilla applications and apps for Firefox OS, user‐submitted runnable demos of Web technologies, and helpful answers on development planning and strategy.
Currently, MDN has over 4 million users per month and more than 1000 volunteer editors per month, worldwide.
Some keyfacts about MDN :
- Original MDN wiki site launched on 23 July, 2005
- Today it is one of the richest resources on the Web for documentation with 34,500 documents and climbing
- 1000+ people edit MDN every month
- More than 20,000 contributors have made about 510,000 edits to date
- Currently MDN has about 4.2 million users per month
- So far, MDN editors created 13,200 English pages and made 21,200 translations in 42 locales
- 300+ web terminology glossary
Updations and accomplishments in chronological order :
- 2005: Mozilla obtained a license from AOL to use content from Netscape’s DevEdge site. The DevEdge content was mined for still‐useful material, which was then migrated by volunteers into a wiki so it would be easier to update and maintain. The new wiki was launched in July 2005 as Mozilla Developer Center (MDC), also known as “devmo,” shorthand for its domain name, “developer.mozilla.org.”
- 2010: The name was changed to Mozilla Developer Network (MDN), reflecting the site’s growth into a nexus for all developer documentation related to the Mozilla Project and open web technologies.
- 2011: A “Demo Studio” section was added for web developers to share and show off their code, along with learning pages to provide links to tutorials.
- 2014: The basic learning pages have been expanded into “Learn the Web” content for beginning web developers, including a web terminology glossary, which Mozilla staff and volunteers will continue to develop over the next few years.
For detailed queries and information , you may visit following links :
- Web: https://developer.mozilla.org/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/MozDevNet
- Newsgroup: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mozilla.mdn
- Events: MDN community events